Tuesday 26 July 2016

Likes me; likes me not.

The renegades and the rebels.


For the many ways my mind comes up with theories and conspiracies from threads, split into a million possibilities, I still don’t get why I fail to see it all the time. 

I can put the most random and absurd facts of life together, propose a deduction and be so darn right. 

I can tell that that guy is totally into that girl because he did this when she did that and she did this and that back. I can tell that maybe this person likes this kind of music or eats this kind of food. I can be so much better than Emma freakin Woodhouse at her own game.

But when it comes to the renegades, I’m suddenly such a rebel. I don’t know how it happens, I’ve just learnt that it does.

My close friends and I can readily admit that I usually miss the obvious; but the peculiar just gets me. Just like that and off I go wondering about this and that. I constantly am bugging my brother concerning his own thoughts on each peculiar matter that I find interest in; like a mad Sherlock Holmes pestering an always shrugging Watson. Yeah, we all see life in our own ways and the people around us must suffer because of it.

I love trying to understand peculiar people. I think inwardly it is because I relate with the need to be understood as well. Therefore, peculiar means those that are misunderstood most of the time, or even “ununderstood.” As a child, I always wished that I would be part of Miss Peregrine’s school for peculiar children because I would have so many cool friends and we’d be by ourselves; peculiar and all. Not like everyone unfortunately, but like us.

 Now that I am older that inclination stays with me in some ways, but I have learnt that the need to be understood is an obsession that can be a good and bad thing, especially when it come to the guys.
It is like in understanding them; I am constantly proving to myself that I can understand myself. Yes, in life we all want to figure ourselves out; know what our favorite food is, our worst colors, and our best music and so on. But in a way everyone can be so chill about it, and there I am after realizing I really like yoghurt, making plans about starting a yoghurt factory just for myself and maybe my favorite people.

And when you think about it like thrice, it is actually good to start a Yoghurt factory because it will help the economy; investments and employment and all the other advantages that I studied about in Econ class all those years ago. But is it really worth it getting excited over yoghurt that much? Some giggly voice inside of me is saying it is, of course but it isn’t really, I think.

Anyway, when it comes to the renegade guys and the turned-into-rebel girls, it gets dangerous.  Take these examples.

1.    1.   Beauty and the beast
Think about it. Why was Belle so into that Beast guy? She suffered from the same syndrome! The whole town was there singing about how she lived in books too much and then those ideas and fantasies in the books got to her! Yeah yeah yeah. It turned our great for her because the beast actually saw her kindness and concern for him and the curse was broken, but that was luck I tell you. Sometimes a beast could be a beast. The beast isn’t always some scarred thing that needs saving, the same way a frog is also just a frog and not some prince. Yes, this is me throwing a little shade to Disney on behalf of my now enlightened older self. As for the movie coming out soon….so help me God.  But you get my point yeah?*insert Gaston’s voice in this whole particular narrative*

2.      2. The twilight saga.
Think about it. Why was Bella so into vampires and werewolves? She suffered the same curiosity. Ok yess!!!! The guys in the books were super hot and all, but really. The guy tells you he is a vampire and you are all like “I’m not afraid.” She should have been. Or maybe it was a sort of charity coz you know I read this thing once that said vampires feed on blood coz they need Vitamin D and she was just being the friendly one. Maybe that gets her off the hook. But then!! A werewolf, even after she sees what one of them did to the love of their life. Smh. Sometimes a vampire could be a foodie, you know; like he is really into his sort of diet. But yes, it was such an amazing story that changed my life as a teenager. This review is also on behalf of my now enlightened older self.

3.     3.  Me and you.
Think about it. When you get too involved with people sometimes because you are trying to figure them out, it’s not fair. What if you don’t like what you find out about them? What if what you find out about isn’t as peculiar as you thought it would be? What happens to them then? What do they become to you?

We get so caught up about people because of what they look like on the outside and that’s what makes us want to get to know them. I mean, it isn’t always a bad thing, but sometimes it’s just selfish to them when we are somehow wrong, or realize that a friendship or relationship somehow can’t work, or when we are suddenly too attached because of all this research that has gotten into our heads and hearts about them.

Yes, we all love a bit of adventure. When the renegade walks through the door, all of us (at least some of us) are having our interest peeked a bit, or even a lot. The renegades make us the rebels and that’s so cool right?

We suddenly start plucking at petals playing likes me likes me not game, and suddenly procrastination is overthrown by curiosity as the mother of all invention. You rationalize everything until it makes sense that he is not a renegade and is instead that person you want him to be. So for everything to work you will have to strike compromises until you are the rebel in that particular story. The truth is we can't all be "Hosea" saving Gomer from her crappy life. Some amazing dream and hope can suddenly turn into reality's worst nightmare.


What I’m saying is the danger is truly that sometimes, the renegades are really renegades. When we want to be the rebels, we might actually turn into them, and that’s the most probable probability. 

Peculiar people are amazing people, but sometimes it’s for more than one reason. 


1 comment:

  1. I see where you're going with this, or at least I think I do. Question is ...what then?
    What becomes of this renegade when you've mind them for all the peculiarities and found them wanting.

    Are we, the perpetrators, not revealed as beasts under sailing under the colours of Sheep ourselves?

    ReplyDelete